Kingdoms and Nations RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingdoms and Nations RP

The Official Forum of Kingdoms and Nations RP, a Warcraft 3 roleplaying map by JaY10101

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

IMPORTANT: On Upkeep and Standing Armies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JaY10101
Admin
Admin

IMPORTANT: On Upkeep and Standing Armies Empty
PostSubject: IMPORTANT: On Upkeep and Standing Armies   IMPORTANT: On Upkeep and Standing Armies I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 am

I know, I know, everyone and their mother hates the upkeep system, but its there for a reason.
While the infinity income of the old versions made life easier, to me it seemed pretty unrealistic.

I know there has been alot of suggestions to lower the upkeep but I myself think that 5 gold/lumber per turn is fine, while perhaps a bit harsh (for now).
To balance this supposed lack of income and inability to field large armies I actually boosted the cp incomes, either by 5-10 gold (which may not seem alot).
I also implemented I build spot system which now remains pretty niche, it needs more suggestions from you guys so that everyone can invest on new economic upgrades that can balance the whole upkeep fiasco.

I'm sure all you guys are used to having a large home army that you send out at war and train when at peace, this is called a Standing Army aka professional soldiers not disbanded during times of peace.
This means growing this army at peace will put you under strain at all times due to the ever-growing need to increase your Standing Army.

But as you all know, I keep saying it again and again, while obviously not aiming to be hyper-realistic it should be taken into consideration that everyone's favorite feudal/medieval system had no Standing Armies.
Lords raised their banners (as you might have heard from Game of Thrones) which is basically gathering their levy for war, usually, when the war is over the Lords disbanded these temporary levies after the war, allowing the feudal lord to recover in peacetime.
Peasants under a feudal lord were obligated to present an able bodied family member to be called on as a levy you see, these levies often brought their own equipment (hence the reason why levies cost nothing but food) but of course they still need supplies and repairs (aka upkeep)

As a plea to you guys, next game, you should try emulating the feudal war system. Have only a skeleton crew of soldiers at peace and only raise levies when at war (you can raise levies pretty fast and they are very numerous, not to mention you raise them at the war targets aka cps), and disband them at peace to avoid paying further income, the period of peace will allow your income to flourish again and also your levies to regenerate.

Hopefully with a fully fleshed out economy upgrade system the game of war in KaN can play out like this:
Early game (aka medieval)
-Levies only raised during war, disbanded during peace time
-The upkeep during war would drain the economy the longer the war continues, this allows more reasons for peace and truce rather than complete annihilation. (Is victory worth the massive drain on your economy? Maybe you'll only ask the enemy to cede the current places you've captured?)
-Lack of large standing army upkeep allows income to flourish
-Flourishing income due to lack of constant standing army upkeep strain allows players to invest in economy buildings meaning greater income.

Late game (aka late medieval or renaissance)

-Improved economy gives significantly more income, allowing the creation of a Standing Army
-Due to large income the Age of Feudalism and Levies end and Standing Armies now win wars. (just like irl)
-Good ol large ass standing armies
Back to top Go down
https://kingdomsandnationsrp.forumotion.net

IMPORTANT: On Upkeep and Standing Armies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kingdoms and Nations RP :: Kingdoms and Nations RP :: KaN Discussion-
Jump to: